top of page



Liver care in the UK is extremely variable and unfortunately it's pot luck as to the care you might receive. We have detailed below some key pieces of information that may help. 

Complaints regarding healthcare



How do I make a complaint regarding treatment and/or service?


PALS (Patient Advice and Liaison Service), offers confidential advice, support and information on health-related matters. They provide a point of contact for patients, their families and their carers.

You can find officers from PALS in your local hospital.

You can also ask your GP surgery, hospital or phone 111, for details of your nearest PALS.  

Making a complaint

If you're not happy with an NHS service, you can make a complaint. You should complain to the person or organisation providing the service first, such as the GP, dentist, hospital or pharmacist. Alternatively, you can complain to the commissioner of that service – either NHS England or the area clinical commissioning group (CCG).

In general, NHS England commissions most primary care services, such as GP and dental services. CCGs oversee the commissioning of secondary care, such as hospital care and some community services.

Read the answers to more questions about NHS services and treatments. 


How can PALS help?


PALS provides help in many ways. For example, it can:

  • help you with health-related questions 

  • help resolve concerns or problems when you're using the NHS 

  • tell you how to get more involved in your own healthcare 

PALS can give you information about:

  • the NHS 

  • the NHS complaints procedure, including how to get independent help if you want to make a complaint 

  • support groups outside the NHS 

PALS also helps to improve the NHS by listening to your concerns and suggestions. 


Flu and Pneumococcal vaccinations


I have a liver condition – do I need the flu jab?


Yes, you do…..any adult who has a longterm liver condition, should have the annual jab. This is a seasonal flu jab, and is usually made up of 3 of the most common types of flu that have arisen world-wide over the last 12 months. 


NB – if a child (under 18y) has a long-term liver condition, please contact the Children’s Liver Disease Foundation for advice.


For further information regarding the flu jab please click on the following links:–-the-real facts


Should I also get the Pneumococcal Polysaccharide Vaccine (PPV)?


Yes, this should also be administered to all adults with a longterm liver condition. For most adults this will be a one-off vaccination. However, if your spleen does not work properly or if you have a chronic kidney condition, you may need booster doses of PPV every five years. This is because your levels of antibodies against the infection will decrease over time. 


NB – if a child (under 18y) has a longterm liver condition, please contact the Children’s Liver Disease Foundation for advice.


For further information regarding the pneumococcal vaccine please click on the following links:

L4L logo

Liver4Life is dedicated to providing support to all people affected by a liver condition. CALL OUR FREE HELPLINE TODAY: 0800 074 3494

bottom of page